CBD Mints: Taking the Guesswork Out Of Dosing
Reading time – 13 minutes
Have you ever thought of CBD dosing as a minefield? You wouldn't be alone if you had. What with all the different CBD delivery methods out there, as well as all the different concentrations and strengths available, knowing how much CBD to take can be challenging. To make matters worse, there is no universal dose that suits everyone when it comes to CBD consumption. Everybody is different, so you'll need to determine a dose that is appropriate to your unique biological makeup.
But what if we told you there wasa more straightforward way to dose CBD? With CBD mints, you can bid your confusion goodbye. Here at Amphora, we have done the hard bit for you, so all you need to think about is how nice the mint tastes on your tongue. For a full guide on all the great things about CBD mints and how they're so easy to dose, don't go anywhere.
What are CBD mints?
Simply put, CBD mints combine cannabidiol with peppermint (menthol).
CBD: Key things to know
Everything one needs to know about CBD (a compound also known as cannabidiol) can be broken down into a series of bullet points:
- CBD is a cannabinoid. This means it is a chemical constituent of cannabis, which can only be found in cannabis. There are over 100 cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant, including CBD.
- In most cases, cannabis Sativa is the strain of cannabis from which CBD and other cannabinoids are extracted.
- Making up cannabis Sativa are two plants: hemp and marijuana. Both contain CBD, but hemp has much more CBD than other varieties of cannabis, and therefore is most commonly grown for commercial reasons.
- Marijuana is rich in THC. THC is another cannabinoid; it differs from CBD in many ways, including in the effects it has on people. THC causes people to become "high" when taken in great enough doses.
- CBD is non-intoxicating and non-addictive. Though some products contain trace amounts of THC, there will never be enough to make you "high" in a legal product.
- CBD products are primarily extracted from the hemp plant, rather than from marijuana.
- Only CBD products containing less than 0.2% THC are legal in the UK and most of the EU (this THC limit varies depending on which country you live in).
- When we take CBD, is it purported to work with the body's endocannabinoid system (ECS). This is a cell-signalling network we each have, made up of enzymes, endocannabinoids (these are like cannabinoids, but are naturally created within the body rather than being cannabis-derived) and cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2). The ECS is responsible for functions related to homeostasis, such as sleep, appetite, cognition and numerous others.
The possible practical perks of CBD mints
The potential benefits of CBD mints are virtually too many to mention. First, let's explore the practical benefits of cannabidiol mints.
- Easy to dose - Just like taking capsules or any other oral CBD delivery methods, CBD mints are an easy way to dose cannabidiol, as each mint contains a fixed amount of CBD, meaning your dose will be uniform and consistent. This makes CBD mints a much more straightforward option than taking CBD oil via a tincture, which requires you to measure out your dose and ensure it is the same each time you take it. Taking a CBD oil or tincture, while preferred by many, can also be fussy and time-consuming. With this in mind, we've spared you the trouble here at Amphora, with pre-measured and consistent doses every time.
- Long-lasting -we mean this in more ways than one. The effects of CBD-infused mints have the potential to last a long time once in your system. What's more, they can be stored for a pretty long time without going bad - usually months, but check individual packaging or our brands website information to see the finer details concerning storage and expiry dates.
- A reliable delivery method - Because you suck on mints before eventually swallowing what's left, the CBD will be absorbed not only via your digestive system, but also under your tongue, into your sublingual gland. Sublingual consumption of CBD is known to be one of the best ways to take this cannabis constituent, with an excellent bioavailability of between 13% to 19%, with some studies maintaining it is 35% (bioavailability refers to the amount of a substance that can be used by your body, and how much of it remains once it has reached the bloodstream). The reason for its superior bioavailability is that its journey to the bloodstream is one of the most direct of any delivery method; the cannabidiol does not get broken down by any of the harsh enzymes that it would have to face if it only went through the digestive tract. The only enzymes that could degrade the CBD are the few that are found in the saliva. As a result of the way the CBD is absorbed, our cannabidiol mints, therefore, make a great way to get your fix of this wellness-supplementing cannabinoid.
- Mess-free -Again, CBD oils are great, but who needs the mess? Each drop is precious, and spilling some oil while trying to administer it is not uncommon. Popping a CBD mint, however, is a naturally mess-free affair!
Dosing mints vs other CBD formats
Now let's take a look at how mints compare to other CBD formats in terms of dosing.
CBD Gummies, Capsules and Softgels- These are all somewhat similar to CBD mints, insofar as they are solid and are taken orally and swallowed (it's important to remember that CBD mints are not designed to be swallowed straight away, as you would a capsule or softgel). In a capsule, gummy, or softgel, there will be a specific concentration of cannabidiol per unit. Because these are all oral methods, each of these has to go down the gullet and through the digestive tract before reaching the bloodstream.
CBD Vaping - Our other speciality at Amphora, CBD vaping is vastly different from CBD mints. With vaping, dosing is not as clear-cut. You are required to think more about your dosage and be conscious of how much CBD you are inhaling with each draw. Inhaled CBD also has quite a different journey to the bloodstream when compared to CBD mints: vaping CBD involves the lungs. The CBD vapour travels through the lining of the lungs into the blood circulation, and this is a much more rapid process, with a greater bioavailability compared to swallowing mints.
CBD oils, sprays and tinctures -As we said before, CBD oils, sprays and tinctures are also not as straightforward a method as you might think when it comes to dosing. These involve knowing the concentration of CBD you are getting with each drop, or each spray, and working out your desired dose according to these guidelines. The commonality between these formats and mints is that both enable the infused CBD to seep into the bloodstream via your sublingual gland.
Overall, CBD dosing is not a simple matter. It takes time to determine what dosage suits you best, and it also comes down to unique factors like your age, weight, height, metabolism and the state of your health, among others. Though CBD mints may be more straightforward than other methods as far as knowing how much you are taking, you will still likely need to do some of your own work in understanding what dosage best meets your needs. This may mean starting with low doses (one mint in the morning, for example) and gradually working your way up to more substantial quantities, typically over the course of a few weeks. Remember to be patient when waiting for the potential effects of CBD, and not to exceed doses of 70 mg of CBD daily.
CBD & wellness
Practical perks covered, you must be itching to know why else we should try taking CBD. Trumping any other reason out there is the fact that both CBD and mint have so much potential when it comes to our wellness.
Before we divulge all the ways in which CBD and mint may transform our wellness, note that all the research we highlight (particularly in the case of CBD) is preliminary. Much more is necessary, but what we have so far is a good start, and shows much promise for the possible therapeutic applications of cannabidiol. It should also be emphasised that the research done on CBD mainly investigates doses much larger than those that will be found in CBD mints. Still, no matter how small the dose, no amount of CBD is pointless! This plant-derived compound could potentially help with:
- Weight management:Research has shown that CBD could possibly help you manage your weight and keep your BMI under control. Cannabidiol purportedly possesses appetite-suppressing properties, which studies have demonstrated when testing on clinically obese It is also alleged to potentially lower blood glucose levels. Sucking on a CBD mint, then, might just provide the temporary diversion you may need to accompany your healthy dietary choices, especially in the early days when you're still getting used to eating different, or fewer, foods. It must be noted that using CBD to supplement weight loss should be done in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise.
- Focus & Alertness:Losing the ability to stay focussed? We can't say we blame you, given the work-from-home, Groundhog-day routine that has persisted for almost a year thanks to COVID-19. Fortunately, studies have suggested that CBD might serve as a modulator of the sleep-wake cycle. In turn, cannabidiol holds the potential to increase wakefulness and alertness, according to science. So, the simple act of sucking a CBD mint during the day holds the possibility to keep you sharp and centred!
- Restoring mental harmony: Anecdotally speaking, CBD is frequently synonymised with relief from anxiety. This comes as no surprise when you look at the preliminary literature, which is consistent in its reports that CBD may exert a significant effect on brain activity, such as working with our neurochemicals to potentially help regulate symptoms of anxiety. Cortisol, serotonin and dopamine are some examples of the neurochemicals and hormones which may play a crucial role in our moods, and which CBD has the potential power to influence. While CBD mints alone may not be enough to make you feel calmer, supplementing your mints with other CBD products and mindfulness practices, like meditation, could just do the trick.
- Relieving nausea: Nausea is no obstacle for CBD, with studies showing that it may actually suppress nausea and vomiting altogether, by manipulating the ECS. This may make CBD mints an excellent supplement for your symptoms of emesis, especially if you take medication(s) that induces such feelings of queasiness. Before self-prescribing CBD for nausea, though, it is always wise to check with your doctor, and if you do not know why you are feeling nauseous, to get to the bottom of that first.
Mint & wellness
That's right, CBD is not the only wellness-boosting, nature-derived, holistic form of therapy on the block. While the potential of CBD may have only recently piqued the interest of wellness fanatics all over the world, mint has already been under the spotlight for its therapeutic promise for many years. Why? To name but a few examples, mint can:
- Freshen breath - Though we cannot currently get near enough to anybody to justify worrying about how our breath smells anyway, it is nice to feel we have clean, fresh breath nonetheless. Peppermint has long been used as an agent of fresh breath, hence its presence in toothpaste, mouthwash, chewing gum, and now, CBD mints! Peppermint has antibacterial properties that may help kill the germs festering in your mouth, which can cause dental plaque. By killing off these microbes, peppermint can help prevent bad-breath particles from building up in your mouth.
- Unclog your sinuses & relieve allergies - Peppermint contains rosmarinic acid, a phytochemical found in rosemary and other plants belonging to the mint family. Rosmarinic acid has been associated with reduced symptoms of allergic reactions, such as a runny nose, itchy eyes and symptoms of asthma. In addition, peppermint harbours antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Peppermint could thereby fight the congested sinuses, which may occur when you have an infection, a cold or allergies. Research also shows that menthol (one of the active ingredients in peppermint) may improve the perception of airflow in your nasal passage. Therefore, CBD mints might just help you feel that you are breathing easier when afflicted with blocked sinuses!
- Increase alertness & energy- Just as we explored with CBD, mint also has the potential to boost alertness and energy. According to one study, 24 young, healthy subjects experienced less fatigue during a cognitive test after taking peppermint oil capsules. Peppermint oil aromatherapy has also been found to reduce instances of daytime sleepiness. When paired with CBD, mint could thereby fuel you through a long day in the kitchen-turned-office!
- Help manage your weight -Also, like CBD, mint has the potential power to aid your weight loss in its own way, naturally. One small study highlighted that the participants who were given a peppermint oil capsule had a reduced appetite when compared to those who were not given a capsule.
General tips on CBD use
- Stick to below 70mg per day - this is the amount recommended by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).
- Popular belief says you cannot use CBD and drive; this is a misconception. You can undoubtedly drive after CBD use, making CBD mints the perfect in-car treat! Obviously, if you are feeling drowsy as a result of the CBD, do not drive.
- CBD is generally very well-tolerated in humans. Still, watch out for adverse reactions and monitor how your body responds. Some adverse effects of CBD may include lightheadedness, drowsiness, headaches, lowered blood pressure, nausea, diarrhoea, weight changes and/or appetite changes. If you think you may be experiencing an adverse reaction and you are concerned, seek medical attention.
- If you are using medication(s) for a health condition, check with your doctor about using CBD as well. CBD has been known to interact with some drugs, so it is imperative to ensure that your CBD intake will not interfere with or undermine the work of your medication.
- CBD mints should not be used as a replacement for any medications you may need to take, nor as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Dosing CBD does not have to be an overwhelming challenge. With our infused CBD mints, no guesswork is necessary as the tricky bit has been done for you. If you don't feel that mints alone go the full distance for you, you can always take them in conjunction with other CBD methods, so long as you are not surpassing the daily recommended amount of CBD.
Whether you choose to stow them in your desk or keep them in your bag, CBD mints can be reached for on any occasion, and will give you the minty freshness you've been craving, alongside a fix of hemp-derived goodness. CBD has never tasted so good!
Written by | Infused Amphora Team
The Infused Amphora Team is dedicated to creating resources to educate and engage consumers on the growing evidence of CBD benefits and the extensive health and wellness properties of CBD Oil.
Contributor | Angus Taylor CEO
Infused Amphora “Learn” is intended for informational purposes only and is NOT a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.